Daddy.


'Its time' said someone. I don't remember who coz I am hardly awake after some 10 hours of my wedding which felt like an eternity! Trust me. I'm not exaggerating. If you have been or were ever a part of a Telugu brahmin wedding you'll know what I am talking about. I can hear my aunt summoning someone to get my luggage. It is rare to see such a commotion at 4.30 am in the morning. I remember that just a few minutes earlier everyone was almost falling asleep but as we neared the last event of the 5 days/forever wedding I guess everyone's hope of getting back to their normal sleeping schedule rose up and hence the havoc. Couldn't blame them. I myself was desperate for some sleep. I could see my sister and a few friends loading up the cars. My mother, too busy to even hear me. It then struck me. Dad. Where is he? My eyes couldn't place him no matter how much they searched. Maybe I was just too tired. Or it's my contact lens wearing off. I along with my 3-hour old husband neared the car(s) with the only hope that this 4 wheeler would make a decent place to sleep for the next 30 minutes or so. I then saw him. He was holding my mother-in-law's hands who was sitting in the front seat of the car. I precisely remember his words (loosely translated), 'I am placing her in your hands. Please take care of her'. 

My dad as I know him was the most humorous guy I ever met. His sense of humor is something that glues people of any age around him. He might be a little racist or religionist sometimes but come on who isn't? 😉 Jokes apart, he is the go-to guy if you wanna lighten up. And now I see this grim face man all worried about sending his daughter away to a new family where he is genuinely concerned and not kidding! Out of all the surprises I had to encounter at my wedding, this one was the award-winner.


Anyways, I got into the car, the chaos still on the go, photographer trying to capture some 'vidaai' moments, my mom and sister all teary faced, but...I didn't have any in my eyes. Maybe by the fact that I am still in the shock of what I just saw. That was my dad? Seriously? 


The car started moving slowly. My sister waving through her tears and then I saw him again. Standing in a corner, folding his hands and trying hard to cover his tears but successfully failing at it. A gush of feelings ran through me. Unexplainable ones. I knew at once that this is a moment I would treasure and relive again and again in the years to come. I tried to look at him as long as I could. Maybe I was still in denial that the man I knew for 27 years who always laughed away his worries couldn't really do that this time. He might have struggled (or not) but ultimately gave in when he had to give away his baby girl who made him 'daddy'. x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boy or Girl?

Questioning the norms

Da 'maa' : The stranger who loved me for over 2 decades